– Beef joint (2kg used in this recipe)
– 4 or 5 carrots & parsnips
– 1 white cabbage
– 7 or 8 large potatoes (cut 2cm thick)
– 2 sprigs of rosemary and thyme
– 2 tbsp of butter
– 250ml single cream
– Veg stock
– 2 white onions
– 1 celery
– 3 or 4 gloves of garlic
– 1/2 bottle of red wine
– Beef stock or 2/3 oxo cubes
– 1L water–
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Place a deep saucepan with cold water onto boil.
3. Peel the veg and slice into matchsticks (potatoes in to 2 cm chunks). Par boil the carrots and parsnips in the saucepan for 10 minutes and leave to cool.
4. For the gravy, use the skins of the veg as well as the onions, celery, garlic (beef bones if you have them) and roast in the oven until golden.
5. Season and sear off your joint of beef in a frying pan, then allow to cool.
6. In the same pan, add butter, rosemary, thyme and a touch more oil and cook your potatoes (turn over once one side is golden and continue until all sides are cooked). Once done, set aside.
7. Take the gravy tray out the oven and add the red wine (around half a bottle depending on how much veg is used). Add 1-1.5L of beef stock, leave to boil.
8. Place the beef, carrots, parsnips and potatoes in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
9. Thinly slice the cabbage and add to a deep pan with veg stock, oil and seasoning and cook slowly until wilted, add cream and continue to cook.
10. Drain the gravy to remove the veg and continue to cook.
11. Take the beef out the oven and cover with foil (leave for 10 minutes to rest before serving – medium rare).
• Thicken the gravy with a small amount of flour/cornstartch and water in a bowl and slowly add until it reaches your desired thickness.
• Drizzle the carrots and parsnips with honey before serving.